6/28/10

Digital Illustration - Techniques

OBJECTIVE:
Display various drawing and rendering techniques using vector-based applications.

I have many different illustrations I have created from Illustrator. Many years ago I started with trying to make my illustrations as realistic as possible. Trying to find every shape and change in color in order to create the more realistic illustration possible.


Description: Find a photograph to use to create a digital illustration using only the pen tool.

Description: Using illustrator create a realistic illustration using the pen tool.


In recent years I have pulled away from the realism and worked more toward a stylized look.

Description: Using the pen tool create a stylized illustration from a photo reference.

Description: I found a dog reference and created it using the rectangle tool, circle tool and the star tool to make triangles. I then figured I would place the dog in an outdoor setting. I found a grass reference and created a blade of grass using the pen tool and then created a grass brush, which then I created a grass pattern from. I then found a cloud reference and made a cloud art brush and placed some clouds in the sky. I finally thought I should contain the wild dog with a fence so I created the fence using rectangle tool and star tool to make triangles. Then I created a splinter brush for the fence. Of course the splinter effect spilled over into the sky and grass. So I duplicated the fence merged the paths in pathfinder and created a clipping mask for the splinter effect.

Description: Using the pen tool create a limited color illustration capturing the gesture in the photo reference. Limit your shading to reveal base tone, highlight and shadow for a stylized effect.


I have also used techniques that take advantage of the “auto trace” features for the background of the image and then go in with the pen tool and create my own stylized illustration of the focused subject.

Illustration using auto trace feature for the background image and then going in and rendering greater detail in the subject to enhance and sharpen image.

Illustration Live Trace & Pen Tool to enhance highlight and shadow

Illustration using auto trace feature for the background image and then going in and rendering greater detail in the subject to enhance and sharpen image.

I have experience in applying gradients to manually.

Description: Created a simple illustration from reference material using gradient fills. Image was duplicated three times, flipped, and rotated to complete the composition.

Description: Created logo for Illusionist Adam Gerhart for his company “Real Magic” Wanted to incorporate his signature trick of the bending fork. Utilized Gradient fill.

I have also used the gradient mesh tool to enhance realism with highlight and shadow.

Description: Created a bottle with shadows and highlights using the gradient mesh tool.