2/18/10

Multipage Brochure Experiments

Given a chance to design a multiple page brochure, would you like to experiment with different styles and layouts or would you prefer to use the contemporary style? What, in your opinion, might interest general public?

Whenever I have designed a multiple page brochure, the first thing I always consider is the budget. How many pieces will the client want? How will I reproduce them? How much money is the client willing to spend? Most of the time when I design brochures for clients it always comes down to meeting the budget. First I typically look at what the client is trying to achieve in the brochure. Is it Information for training, awareness, promotion or something completely different?

Of course still need more information before I really start thinking about the design. How much and what information do I need to include? Are there any extra items that the brochure needs to accommodate like CD’s, DVD’s, Pens, etc? Does it need multiple folds, tear offs, die cutes, pockets?

Once I have answers to all these questions I begin to thumbnail and think of ways to make the form of the brochure function the best. I look at other layouts and creative brochures and consider those designs verses mine. Then I consider how will the brochure be produced.

So, to answer the question, I like to experiment with new styles. I think seeing something different with great production always attracts attention. Using dynamic typographic and exciting photography to generate interest on a unique looking brochure is more likely to draw attention and say “you got to see this!” compared to a standard design.

A great example of this is when I go to the Dr.’s office and look at all their brochures in the waiting room. Some of the big drug companies have great unique shape brochure about the latest anti-depressant, heart medication, diabetic supplies and so forth. They pop off the display and scream “LOOK AT ME, I AM NEW AND EXCITING!” Verse the simple packet of papers stapled in the top left corner printed on a copy machine that needs cleaned and is out of toner. Pushing brochures to the next level is just part of the graphic design game we designers call work.

No comments:

Post a Comment